Total Pageviews

Monday, February 12, 2024

BEHIND THE RECORD - THEE MIDNITERS - THE BLACK LABEL WHITTIER 45RPM RECORDS

 Just what is behind the black label Whittier 45s by Thee Midniters. I really don't know. I am hoping someone reading this blog and posta comment if they know.

These records do not show up on any Midniters discography nor on any music and record internet sites like Discogs or 45Cat. There is no information in any book or record guide that I have been able to locate. Therefore I can only speculate. Are they reissues? Are they bootlegs?

Eddie Torres who owned Whittier records did reissue some of the original Whittier 45s but with different labels.You can find my list and scans on my blog. On some he used ablum tracks as the A or B side so that collectors could get new songs that they didn't have on 45. 

But when and why? I know that some labels, Dottie for instance reissued 45s in the late 1960's so if these are legit Eddie Torres reissues I would put them as being issued in the 1968-1970 range after the band had broken up. I could very easily be wrong and I hope that someoue out there can correct me.

I have seven such records and I hope that there are more. If anyone has any that are not on this post I would love to have scans of such records. Please leave any and all comments on this post.

WHITTIER 500XX "Love Special Delivery" b/w "Don't Go Away"







WHITTIER 501XX "It'll Never Be Over For Me" b/w "Thee Midnite Feeling"





WHITTIER 674 "Sad Girl" b/w "Heat Wave"




WHITTIER 693 "Empty Heart" b/w "I Need Someone"




WHITTIER 694 "That's All" b/w "It's Not Unusual"





WHITTIER 695 "Brother, Where Are You" b/w "Heat Wave"




WHITTIER 706 "I Found A Peanut" b/w "Are You Angry"







NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED!! SOLELY FOR HISTORICAL AND EDUCATIONAL PURPOSES!!

2 comments:

  1. The most practical explanation for label colors that differ from the most common color used by the company is a rush on demand. "Earth Angel" and "Angel Baby" are good examples of this. Dootsie Williams had to settle for label colors vastly different from his preferred burgundy labels when "Earth Angel" unexpectedly took off. As a result, you can find Earth Angel on almost every color of label! Same was true of Angel Baby when it took off, although not as many colors were used. Best wishes, Guy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heard these were boots 70s not sure if Eddie Torres had his hand in it.

    ReplyDelete