Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 4, 2011

ROOTS OF THE EASTSIDE SOUND - CHICO SESMA



Lionel "Chico" Sesma attended Roosevelt High School in East Los Angeles. He was a member of the dance orchestra , the concert band and the band that played at football games.
  After high school he played trombone with the Johnny Richards orchestra and the Russ Morgan orchestra playing "big band music"
  By 1949 his musical carrer had slowed & he became a disc jockey at radio station KOWL. KOWL would later become KDAY. Sesma was the first person to expose mambo and cha cha chá in Los Angeles with an innovative new bilingual broadcasting twist.
  In the early 1950's he began promoting concerts by Latino artists. By 1959 he was promoting his monthly "Latin Holidays" show at the Hollywood Palladium. These shows would run through 1973.



  In searching for a Chico Sesma discography I could only find one extended-play 45 released on the Fiesta label from the early 1950's. The songs on the EP are "Cha Cha Bounce", " Lullaby In Cha Cha", "Enchachalada" and "Cha Cha In The Moonlight".

You may listen to "Cha Cha Bounce" here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QlTFNkOODY

You May Listen to Lalo Guerrero & The Chico Sema Orchestra "Tu" here:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iM85KPocDI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1Ll76l5TRHwJ1i_WqAyZtSI95zTPOQ2pyxMI_WVKEkdu_p-Z2dTTYMJHghttps






Chico Sesma passed away in October/November 2015.

If anyone has more information on Chico and his music please contact me.

NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED:

Soley for historical, educational and listening enjoyment.

9 comments:

  1. Amazing music. A mirror image of what was happening in New York. Thanks for posting.

    Aurora

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was one of those ifluenced by Chico Sesma. In the late 50's, I listened to Chico on the radio and he expanded my appreciation of jazz into latin rhythms. Glad to see a tribute site for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. my email is greatproductions@aol.com

    friend of the family

    Kip

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a young "gringo" fan of Latin Jazz in the early sixties, I set my clock by Chico's program on KTYM.
    He truly was an icon and, while I know God provides a lifetime for each of us, his was too short for me.
    My our Lord receive you into his kingdom, Chico. You evangelized so many of us in terms of respect for music, brotherly love and peace...gene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I absolutely agree, he was an evangelist for latin jazz, opened my eyes, my heart to this wonderful music,

      Delete
  5. I was at the tamale festival in Indio seating with Poncho Sanchez during his break we were discussing Chico Poncho was very close to him and I was saying I remember 59 or 60 that Chico was DJ ing out of Cisco’s in Manhattan Beach 9pm in the evening does anybody recall that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Does anyone know Chico Sesmas place of birth?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chico Sesma’s son is interested in contacting anyone who knew his dad. Chico Sesma has a son named Daniel

    ReplyDelete