Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 4, 2012

EASTSIDE LEGENDS - ROSIE AND RON


Out of Chino, California, Lucy Duran (Velveteens) and Ralph Valdez of Hawthorne were billed as Rosie & Ron by Del-Fi/Donna label owner Bob Keane. He wanted to capitalize on the popularity of Rosie & The Originals & Ronnie & The Pomona Casuals who also had hits at the time.

  Two ballads "So Dearly" and "Bring Me Happiness" both penned by Ruben Pando were recorded in 1961 with the Velveteens backing and released on the Donna label (Donna 1338). The record became a number 1 seller in the Los Angeles area. It was released with two different label variations.







You May Listen To Rosie & Ron "So Dearly" Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2jZ5Sc2vg4







You May Listen To Rosie & Ron Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKWJpdZFyt0




NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGEMENT INTENDED!!!

Solely for historical, educational & listening pleasure.

11 comments:

  1. lucy duran and "RALPH VALDEZ" sang bring me happiness and so dearly,..NOT 'spider' ray quinones. lucy also recoreded on the fifo label as "lucy duran" and as the "traingles" w/ frankie gonzales and ruben pando.~interesting information that i just found out myself,anthony piceno(lucy's biggest fan)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you Anthony, Lucy Duran and Ralph Valdez where the ones who sang "So Dearly". Spider (Ray Quinones) was one of the singers known as Rene And Ray who recorded "Queen Of My Heart. All three where very close friends of Valenzuela family and the band "The Velveteens"

      Delete
    2. Hi Anthony thnx for this great information about Lucy Duran , I read about my oh my by the triangles featuring Lucy Duran n what I have heard about the female voice it's not Lucy Duran it's actually Judy brown is that corrrect???? Plz let me know thnx!!!!!!

      Delete
    3. lucy duran was from chino california and she sang with her 2 hometown friends ruben pando and frankie gonzalez as the triangles,backed by booker t.and the MG'S on "MY OH MY &REALLY I DO"..i confrimed this with lucy herself,...also judy brown did record heaven and paradise on fifo record label and it also a great song !!!

      Delete
  2. Lucy Duran, is my boyfriends Tia and not many know that she is the true voice of "Angel baby" but being under age her Parents did not sign off for her to proceed with signing, so she lost the rights to the song and all royalties, so the so-called producer found someone who sounded like her, which we all know as Rosie. If you listen to ANGEL BABY and GIVE ME LOVE by Rosie, you can hear two totally different people. When she came of age, she kept the stage name of Rosie because she was the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that information that I am sure very few people know. I appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. A couple of us girls would go after school and hear the Velveteens practice and then on Saturday night go to the dance where the band would be play and meet the guys so much fun those were the good old days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for leaving a comment. Please visit and subscribe to my YouTube Channel EASTLAGUY and please tell your friends too.

      Delete
  4. Guy, I have a record collection that my father left me if you know anyone that is interested. About 300 45's all oldies. I have no use for them but I want to donate them to a true collector. Email me slyjuarez@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete