Total Pageviews

Monday, June 11, 2012

REMEMBERING EAST L.A. - ADVANCED TELEVISION



My father, Emil Aversa owned Advanced Television in East Los Angeles in 1950's to the 1970's The store moved to different locations all on Whittier Boulevard including 51 18 Whittier Blvd and 5849 Whittier Blvd and also next to The Tamale on Whittier Blvd.

My father served in the navy during World War II and repaired navy communications equipment including walky talkies. He opened up shop in East L.A. selling & repeairing televisions and radios for the East L.A. community. Of course televisions back then were very different than they are today with all the tubes and such and I marveled at what my dad could do with a set that just quit working. I still remember the first tiny transistor radio he gave me and I took it everywhere  I went. My dad also sold records in his store from time to time to supplement his income.

Emil was a ham radio operator and one of the pioneers during the CB radio days.

I spent some time with my dad this past weekend & he allowed me to scan these old pictures.

Happy Father's Day and  hats off to you, dad for serving East L.A. back in the day.











My cousin Mickey and his band Mickey & The Invaders played at my dad's Advanced Television Grand Opening in 1965



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete